Sunday, March 25, 2007

Whaaaat's Happenin'?

So I ordered a new computer... parts. I enjoy building my own computer vs. buying one. It's a lot more customizable. For instance: I bought a 768 mb video card... it's huge. and awesome. It'll keep my video games running at full specs for awhile. I also got an AMD 3.0 ghtz dual core processor. Another thing that'll keep things running. I even bought a new case... good thing too. The video card is HUGE! About twice the length of a "regular" video card. Won't fit in a "normal" sized case. Now I didn't think the video card would be as big as it is when i bought the case. I just new the video card and processor would produce a lot of heat, so i wanted a big case, and one with lots of fans. This case came with 3 "small" fans and one big one. It's nice. It even has lights. I enjoy the look of it. What's with all the quotes? I use size terms lightly. It really depends on what's your definition of "normal" is. Anyways, moving on. So with all of these awesome parts, I have to have something to power this. I thought a 600 watt (a good sized power supply) power supply would handle it. So i ordered one. I get it, and realize that the video card would need two peripheral power plugs... i have 6 to use. I need two for hard drives, two for cd/dvd drives, and I want to use two for the fans and lights. Not enough for the video card too. So i send it back (I lost 15 bucks in the process of returning it and restocking it). I buy a better 680 watt with 8 peripherals. And it has lights. the computer as a whole is nice. I receive the motherboard last. I put it in the case, line it up so that the inputs can be plugged in (keyboard, mouse, etc) and the PCI express ports line up perfectly so the video card inputs (for monitors) are outside the case. This is fantastic. Alright now to screw it in... why don't i see the holes on the case through the holes of the motherboard? Crap. There's probably 25 or so holes pre drilled in the case. two holes actually line up with the motherboard's hole. I call Derek (praying he has a solution) and he told me that I needed to use some special screws, etc. I didn't have these screws, but he said he did and would bring them on Friday. So I'm waiting patiently. The only thing in my case right now is the power supply. Can't do much except connect the fans and lights. I had a little more than a week to wait, but I needed to get ready for a formatting of the hard drive. I needed a few things. Mainly some Microsoft Office action. So i got Office 2007 and installed it (i wanted to check it out) and boy was i surprised. Microsoft simplified it. No more menu bar at top with "File" "Edit" "View" etc. Instead, they have a fairly good size toolbar. It's a tabbed toolbar. meaning you click on the "Home" tab and you find the font options, center, color, etc. Than you click on the "Insert" tab for tables, shapes, pictures, etc etc. I think this is a good idea for people who don't know a lot about computers. I mean it's simple. You can hover over "B" under home and it'll say "Bold - make the selection text bold" etc etc. Good idea, right. I mean i had to relearn where things are, but it was simple to relearn and I probably know everything I could do in 2003 in just a matter of minutes. Probably the only praise Microsoft will get from me. I'm also gonna try Windows Vista. I have to check it out. So I'm gonna. I'm going to try to have Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Linux running on this computer. It'll be interesting. Anyways I'll keep you updated. Later.

No comments: