Wednesday, September 14, 2005

CD Protection

In this day and age, people have to be able to rip music from audio cds. It's a must. Why? Because people own these inventions called "MP3 Players." Yeah. I know. Amazing technology. Enough of me being sarcastic. But seriously, it's a must. I have me Ipod, and I need to take CDs that I purchase and rip them onto my harddrive, and then import them onto my IPod. I would also like to get the best quality. So, the first Copy protected cd i encountered was Simple Plan's CD. Basically, the put an error in the table of contents, and if there is an error, most CD drives won't try to read the CD. Most CD players don't look at the table of contents, so it works in CD players and not in your Computer. I don't have Simple plan on my IPod, yet, but since the other side of the CD is a DVD, and i just downloaded a DVD audio ripper, I shall have the audio. Now, i've done this before, and the SImple Plan CD has the .IFO files (the ones your DvD player can read) in seperate tracks, so it makes for easy identification for songs. Well, Switchfoot's new CD, has Copy protection, and has a DVD side. The problem is that the DVD side has seperated the tracks into 3 songs per IFO file... so I can't really do much, if I want to pick what song I want to listen to, and I do.

Basically, Sony (which is one of the record companies that do this) is screwing themselves over. The idea is to stop pirating, when I see on the internet, people won't even buy the CD, they'll just download it via P2P program, for free. Basically, it ticks me off because I paid 13 bucks (it's originally 16 bucks, but it's on sale) for a music CD, that I want to put onto my IPod, and enjoy it that way. But no. I can't. Ticks me off. There is a way to rip them though. Apparently, you can wrap eletrical tape around the outside, to just before the visible line (you should be able to see it if you look closely) and fold the tape over the other side, and it should play. I don't know. This is a double sided CD/DVD. I hope I don't ruin the DVD side when I fold the extra tape over. I don't know if I'm gonna do that method. But the point is, in this day of age, people need to be able to rip music, or at least have make the CD compatable with ITunes, or something so you can import it to your IPod or MP3 player.

But what are you gonna do? You pay the money, and figure out that if this CD get's ruined, you have to buy a new one. You can't just burn another copy. Now if you excuse me, I have some taping to do.

No comments: